Digital marketing makes it easy to reach customers quickly and is often less costly than direct mail. But a lot of people have digital “burn out;” they are almost blind to the never ending ads and emails that pop up on their screen unless it is something they are specifically looking for. Direct mail, on the other hand, doesn’t seem to suffer from this problem.
Recipients spend more time with their mail and pay more attention to the offers they receive over the holidays. They are more likely to hang on to your mail piece for future reference, sticking it on the fridge or dropping it in their bag. In fact, the United States Postal Service states that 3 out of 4 direct mail customers will open their mail and look at it the same day they receive it.
That makes direct mail a powerful resource to have in your holiday marketing tool box.
Since direct mail can be more costly and take more time to pull off, you want to make sure you’re going to get the best return on your investment. Here are some tips to a great mail piece for the holidays:
- Consider using a postcard format. It’s simple and gets your message across right away.
- Make it eye-catching. Use bright colors! Shapes! But keep it clean, at the same time.
- Think texture. Part of the direct mail experience is holding it in your hands and touching it. Adding texture can make your DM piece more memorable, not to mention fun.
- Mention your social media channels, or send the recipient online for more information, to fill out of form, or to make a purchase with a coupon.
- Send out an email counterpart—together, DM and email will give you a higher response rate.
Ready to add direct mail to your marketing mix this holiday season? We can help, whether you’re starting from scratch or simply need to get your package printed and shipped. Just give us a shout today!